KateCopeseeley

Pieces of Stars

Honestly, just trying to see if this place can compete with anywhere else.

To Your Scattered Bodies Go
Philip José Farmer
Storm Glass
Maria V. Snyder
The 19th Wife - David Ebershoff I think I differ from most in liking this book a lot. I can understand why it would be controversial -it's there in the title. :)Why I loved this book. Well, first of all, we get a look at the origins of the Mormon faith that most people don't see, including, I believe, people in the church. My husband is a former Mormon and I'm sure this book angered and disappointed many people, but for me it was a fascinating look at the beginnings of a religious community. My only wish was that the Brigham's wife tale wasn't SO one-sided. It was obvious from reading that the author felt that anyone in that society would feel demoralized and hateful of their situation as a multiple wife. I seriously doubt that was ALWAYS the case, and there had to be more of a feeling of good and bad elements. I'm not keen on people judging history through OUR eyes, because we have a completely different culture. And yet, in the case of this author, when writing fiction, one HAS to be a judge and have a perspective, so that is why I left my dissatisfaction by the wayside and really started to enjoy the book.For me, this book reminded me a lot of the feeling I had when reading Memoirs of a Geisha. I was fully transported into a universe about which I knew nothing (except from Big Love, haha) and was fascinated by the cultural and social aspects of the world I encountered.I also loved how the other storyline, from present day, was told by a boy. Often when we watch Oprah or 20/20 and see this kind of perspective, we only see it from the poor downtrodden women and girls that get roped into it. This "Lost Boy" had a tale of his own to tell and a intriguing mystery to solve. I enjoyed the depth of his story.I gave this book 5 stars because I couldn't put it down, I loved the characters, and the story kept a great pace. That being said, this is NOT a book for everyone and I think this is a case of love it or hate it. So read at your own risk! :)