KateCopeseeley

Pieces of Stars

Honestly, just trying to see if this place can compete with anywhere else.

To Your Scattered Bodies Go
Philip José Farmer
Storm Glass
Maria V. Snyder
The Department of Magic - Rod Kierkegaard Jr. I'll be the first to say this book isn't for everyone. If you don't like Christopher Moore, National Treasure, and violence, this is not the book for you. I love the first two and can tolerate the third in moderation, so this book and I got along fine.I've been checking on some of the books by Curiosity Quills press, for personal reasons, so I jumped at the chance to get this one for free from Amazon.This characters in this book are hilarious. You've got Rocky, the consummate beta male. Even though he was in the army, he basically used it as a way to pay for college, not to become a badass. Oh, and he majored in literature or something like that. So he's basically a drifter deadbeat waiting to happen. He has no skillz.Then there's Jasmine Farrah, prissy rich debutante who spends more time texting than working. She's manicured and pedicured within an inch of her life, and her shoes are impractical and expensive. And yet, she is an alpah and fully skilled. But that's not all. We've got the crazy vampire clone. A vampire baby that drinks blood in a bottle. The risen corpse of George Washington. A Civil War general that's been resurrected a dozen times. Bums that are really guardians who speak into phones only they can hear ringing. Jaguar Babies. Central American Dieties. The 3rd President of the United States as a two hundred year old vampire. And many, many more.This book, though ponderous at times must have taken an amazing amount of research. The dialog is hilarious. The storyline (once it gets going) and the world building are amazing.My only criticism is that all that imagination could have used some trimming or streamlining for the sake of pacing. I was never BORED (thanks to the hilarious characters) but there were times early on (the first 35%) where I felt like the book was dragging. There is no reason why it should be so! This book is fantastic!Dept of Magic got better and better as it went along, culminating in a finale that had me biting my fingernails.