KateCopeseeley

Pieces of Stars

Honestly, just trying to see if this place can compete with anywhere else.

To Your Scattered Bodies Go
Philip José Farmer
Storm Glass
Maria V. Snyder
Entwined - Heather Dixon This is not a book for everyone. It is confusing, long and slow in places. Yet I loved it. I love fairy tales. I've loved them since my first retelling of Beauty by Robin McKinley. I loved them when reading Shannon Hale, Gail Carson Levine, and many others. Not all retellings are great, and sometimes I'll toss aside a book in disgust, but I was pleasantly surprised with this tale of the Twelve Dancing Princesses.I should mention that I listened to this book in audio format and that may have had an effect on my enjoyment, as I really liked the actor's voice. She did a fantastic job.I've read a variety of comments on this book, but here's my two cents:I loved the characters. Writing about 12 different sisters while still giving each of them depth is tough to do, but I thought Dixon did a great job. Yes, there were times where one of the sisters would dip a little too far into the realm of cardboard cutout, but thankfully, those moments were few and far between. I don't think there was a single character I didn't like in this book. I was intrigued by each of them and felt they each added their own little piece to the story.I think where this book failed for me was in the plot. I feel like the author made a mountain out of a molehill, so to speak. In other words, she wrote more words than there was story to fill. I agree with those who said that this book has a definite lull in the center of the book. It was, perhaps the repetitive nature of the dancing every single night. Or maybe it was that the author didn't seem to have anything going on in the story.Whatever the case may be, it took away from the overall story, which is why my review is only four stars. However, I did enjoy this story very much, along with its ending, and I look forward to seeing what else Dixon has to offer.