KateCopeseeley

Pieces of Stars

Honestly, just trying to see if this place can compete with anywhere else.

To Your Scattered Bodies Go
Philip José Farmer
Storm Glass
Maria V. Snyder

Exiled (Immortal Essence, #1)

Exiled (Immortal Essence, #1) - RaShelle Workman 4.5 starsWow, I freaking loved this book. It was everything that Across the Universe by Beth Revis could have been, but wasn't.I had honestly never heard of Rashelle Workman before I downloaded her book as a freebie on Amazon. My luck with indies lately hasn't been the greatest, in that I've read a lot of good books, but no GREAT ones. This book was fantastic!Finally, YA sci-fi I can get on board with. There were so many nuances to the character that I could appreciate. Workman took some over used tropes and turned them upside down. For instance, the one with the girl who is super passive and doesn't really do anything in the story.In the case of Venus, who is just innocent and naive to start out, she is used to being this strong character, who basically kicks butt on her own world, but when she goes to earth, which is rife with pollution, her body is weakened to the point that she can barely take care of herself. She is forced to face her own weakness and immaturity time and again in this book and it make for some thought provoking reading.I love the world and culture she created. I honestly wish there was more of it! I could have personally used a few more chapters of set up at the beginning of the story, but I'm sure there will be plenty of other people who like the action to begin right away.I also think that the way Venus talked was a little too slang filled, translator or not. I just find it hard to believe the translator would pick up slang like: seriously, whatever, etc. Venus talked very much like an earth teen and that was unrealistic for me.There were a ton of interesting twists and turns to this story that I really enjoyed. Every time I got that "oh no, not this again" feeling in my gut, Workman zagged in a different direction and kept me excited in the story. I will definitely be reading more of her work!