KateCopeseeley

Pieces of Stars

Honestly, just trying to see if this place can compete with anywhere else.

To Your Scattered Bodies Go
Philip José Farmer
Storm Glass
Maria V. Snyder

Revolution

Revolution - Jennifer Donnelly This book had me hooked from the start. How hooked you ask? I didn't even notice it was the hated first person present tense until page 83! Which just goes to show, excellent writing can surpass any obstacle. :)Revolution is the story of Andi, who has lost her little brother and isn't coping well. It is also the story of Alexandra, a young servant girl from the days of the Revolution, who has lost her little charge: Prince Louis-Charles of France. The writing in this book is amazing. I will definitely be reading more Jennifer Donnelly books after this. Example:"Arden's walking home on this fine Saturday afternoon, turning every head with her tanned legs, suede boots, and micromini. She's got a big belt around her hips. It has a shiny belt buckle with PRADA on it, which is Italian for insecure. She just came out of a deli carrying a Diet Coke, a pack of cigarettes, and a bottle of Evian. The first two are lunch, the Evian's for her bong. Tap water is, like, soooo toxic."The prose is fluid and matches the characters. The descriptions are perfect, never over the top. The storyline moves along at a great pace, although I'll admit some impatience for getting the story set, so we could move on to the journal, but in Donnelly's defense, it wouldn't have worked otherwise.There were a few little things that didn't work for me: the transitions from diary to real life were kind of repetitive after a while. We get that you're caught up in the journal, Andi. We get that you find it fascinating. Over it. :) The very end seemed a little rushed for me. Donnelly does all this great foundation work only to have the last part of the book wrapped up in a little epilogue. And finally, the character descriptions were sometimes only so-so. Some characters got a lot of time and description initially, but were never talked about again. This is a LONG book. We need to be reminded of the characters.All in all, a fantastic story! Worth reading if you enjoy historical fiction, stories about overcoming grief, or books featuring the gritty real world of musicians. :)