KateCopeseeley

Pieces of Stars

Honestly, just trying to see if this place can compete with anywhere else.

To Your Scattered Bodies Go
Philip José Farmer
Storm Glass
Maria V. Snyder

Hollowland

Hollowland - Amanda Hocking It actually wasn't my intention to pick up another Hocking book so soon after reviewing the Trylle Trilogy, but after I finished The Forest of Hands and Teeth, I didn't have anything but Amanda Hocking and Carrie Ryan on my iPhone for the gym. It was a "let's watch nothing but sports and news" day on the TVs, so I decided to take a detour from Ryan's zombies and try Hocking's out for size.Well, let me tell you, they are a LOT more scary, since they aren't what you would call zombies per se, but more like diseased victims of a virus who have a lot of their strength, speed, and brains left when they "turn". Towards the end of the virus' life in its host, they become more like traditional zombies, lurching, moaning, and slow. The interesting thing about Hocking's zombies: they aren't undead, or raised from the dead. They are people who are ALIVE and consequently can be killed by shooting them anywhere, or injuring them. The good of this book is the main character. Unlike the Trylle trilogy, where I spent a lot of the first book questioning the protagonist's motives and actions, for this book I was just along for the ride. She wants to find her brother, she kicks ass, she can shoot a gun, etc. I love strong protagonists. I also think that one of Hocking's strong suits is her side characters. A lot of times, writers seem to add in their other characters as though throwing them in at the last minute, and talk about cliche! Hocking doesn't fall prey to that weakness, and I found myself liking each of the characters in turn.The story is also compelling, though a bit vague in spots. Remy travels north to the next quarantine that she is aware of, so she can make sure her brother is okay. Why she is so sure he IS still alive doesn't become apparent till near the end of the book, and Hocking does a great job leading up to it.Where the whole thing kind of collapses for ME, is toward the end of the book. This is a great story, don't rush the end! Hocking spent a lot of time building up the characters, and the story, then she just rushes into the rescue of Remy's brother and some of the other characters, like Tatum and Bishop fall short and suffer the loss of detail. It also loses some believability, because she just MET Tatum. Why would he be willing to risk everything for her??? I think that this is where some honest feedback would have been good for Hocking before publishing. If she'd just BELIEVED in her readers and their ability to be patient and wait for the story to unfold, this could have been a knock out of the park, 5 star story. Instead, I have to give it 4 stars. It bums me out, because I literally could NOT put this book down yesterday.