KateCopeseeley

Pieces of Stars

Honestly, just trying to see if this place can compete with anywhere else.

To Your Scattered Bodies Go
Philip José Farmer
Storm Glass
Maria V. Snyder

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) - Susan Ee Well, I'm going to give this book 5 stars despite a few reasons...First, I couldn't really get into it until about 60% of the way through it. Luckily, the characters and world building were enough to keep me interested in continuing, particularly that of Penryn (GREAT NAME!) and her rather eccentric mother. I wonder if I'm the only person who thinks her schizo label is a red herring. It's obvious to me that she's one of those brave souls who sees more than the world does and is therefore labeled as crazy. I'm sure we'll find that out in the next few books, which I'm greatly looking forward to!Second, and I'm CERTAIN I will be raked over the coals for this... I thought Raffe was a pretty shallow and 2D character. There's just NO substance to him, even in the end of the book, when there are a few big reveals about him, there just wasn't much beside his good looks (which Penryn notices quite often) and his protection of her to recommend him. I mean, the guy NEVER TALKS, except to tell Penryn to either: leave him alone or go be safe somewhere. And here is my third and final observation, which I'm certain I will be crucified (sorry, couldn't resist) for. I just did not buy the love story aspect AT ALL. Raffe barely knew her, how in the world could he have ANGUISH for her?? Unless she is the reborn soul of a long lost love, I just don't buy it. It actually made me CRINGE when I got to that part in the book. I actually thought Penryn's reaction of shock was pretty honest, because honestly, if he had showed that kind of feeling for me, after acting like a total hulking silent type for the majority of the book, I would have been shocked too.Thankfully, none of these issues kept me from enjoying what is a great story. I love the concept of evil angels. After all, if there can be good vampires, why not bad angels? There are a few issues I see between holding hard and fast to the invisible laws and playing fast and loose with them, but perhaps that is the author's intention. Penryn is freaking KICK ASS and I LOVE HER! She and her family are worth reading the entire book for. The prose was beautiful in a direct and clean cut way, and as good in its own way as the Laini Taylor book I just read.This book is probably the 5 or 6 excellent indie I've read this year, and to me, that heralds the birth of a new movement! Watch out for the indies! :)