KateCopeseeley

Pieces of Stars

Honestly, just trying to see if this place can compete with anywhere else.

To Your Scattered Bodies Go
Philip José Farmer
Storm Glass
Maria V. Snyder

Enclave (Razorland Series #1)

Enclave (Razorland Series #1) - Meh. That's pretty much my only commentary on this book. First of all, I would hardly describe this book as dystopian. Instead, it is clearly post-apocalyptic, since more than half of it doesn't even take place in the Enclave. BTW- I listened to this as an audiobook and I swear if I hear the words "In the Enclave" one more time, I think I'll scream. It got to the point where I was like, "I don't care what they do in the Enclave. Seriously, I could hardly care less!!!"Maybe for some teenagers or people who don't read a lot of post-a fiction, it was mind blowing. I've read better, believe me. This is not post-a at its best.Another thing that bothered me (and bothers me about a lot of YA actually, so I guess this is a mini rant). Please don't think your readers are too dumb to pick up on all the items that don't makes sense in your story. Take the time to flesh things out, because we will. For instance, how is it that the people in the Enclave don't have Rickets (from lack of Vitamin D) or Scurvy (from lack of Vitamin C). They don't seem to eat any plants except mushrooms and... well... ??? Plants don't grow underground, you see, so I guess these humans are evolved not to need them? It seems like a pretty short time to evolve, however, since it's been less than a hundred years since whatever wiped out the human race.Here's another question: how do all these "colonies" that take a three day hike or more, manage to live underground in the subway system? I didn't think there was that much room under there. Can someone from NY correct me if I'm wrong?Finally, how in the HECK did the canned foods survive that long? It seems physically impossible that all of these objects and people are from the same timeline. Some things are completely decimated while others are inexplicably intact. I just don't get it.I give the author props for a non-sexist (though somewhat caste) society and a protagonist that is a strong female character. Yet there was nothing inherently likeable or memorable about her. I suppose it's wrong to compare her to Katniss(since I pray to GOD no one ever does that to ME), but Deuce had no heart for me, except a tiny sparkling bit of humanity that surrounded her relationship with Tegan. I had a hard time believing she cared about the other characters in the book, even her love interest.Can't we have strong female characters that we also give a crap about? Why do these strong women have to be so unlikeable? Questions for another day, I suppose.